Thursday 1 May 2014

Need by Carrie Jones


Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release date: December 23rd 2008
Age group: Young adult
Pages: 306
Author info: Website

My rating:  


Pain shoots through my head. Fireworks. Explosions. All inside my brain. The white world goes dark and I know what's about to happen. 

 Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.

She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.

 In this creepy, compelling breakout novel, Carrie Jones delivers romance, suspense, and a creature you never thought you'd have to fear.

I have not read Need in a fair while. Please bare in mind that this review was written two coffees, little sleep, and based off an old Goodreads review. But, I do remember loving this book. So, as always, here's what stood out to me the first time I read this intriguing novel (that I can remember):

1) I was truly suprised how much I enjoyed Need. When I first purchased this story, I had not heard much hype about it, so I was not expecting brilliance. I tend to lack affection for pixie or fae novels, except for a few exceptions, because most of the time I don't find them dark enough. Need has to be an exception. And although parts were fairly predictable, it had interesting and unique aspects to it that kept me reading.

2) The gorgeous Zara is strength of this novel. My goodness, she is such a wonderful character. She is fairly sarcasm (which I adore), and she is strong. Progressively through the book, she finds reason to force herself out of depression, and soon she no longer mopes, she does not find situation to seek out sympathy from others. Her character development is admirable. Unfortunately, I found her love interest to be a rather flat, two-dimensional character, although Zara herself kept me wanting to turn pages.

3) The phobia idea is truly fresh. I never had, and still have not, encountered a book so centred on phobias of others and ones personal deepest fears. I loved that every chapter title was a phobia, it's definition, and how it always had some sort of relevance to what occurs in that chapter. Zara's quiet chanting of phobia names to ease anxiety adds to her complexity, her unique character.

In relation to the phobias, I loved the deep seeded ideas of this novel. The fact made clear that humans are fearful of the unknown, and so naming what is feared helps overcome that fear. And of course, the idea of Autophobia - the fear of oneself, which is a powerful aspect of this story.

Buy the book:


No comments:

Post a Comment